Anyone who knows me will be aware that I’m obsessed with Bake Off. I watch it every year without fail! I’d just about given up on 2020 until I heard Paul and Prue would be gracing our screens this Autumn after all. To celebrate I thought I’d take part in the Bake Along challenge and post my attempts here!
I was too late for cake week which means I’m diving straight into biscuits. I decided to make the coconut macaroons from the technical. This is a much simpler recipe than the one featured on the show (after all, I’m no Candice Brown) but they are delicious nonetheless. I’m not usually a fan of macaroons but these were a total game changer – you really can’t beat a homemade bake!
- 200 g desiccated coconut
- 200 g condensed milk
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 100 g dark or milk chocolate
- Pre-heat your oven to 150° and line a baking tin with parchment paper
- Mix together your coconut, condensed milk and vanilla essence until combined
- In a separate bowl, whisk your egg whites with a pinch of salt. Once they've become soft peaks, gently fold them into your coconut mixture
- Using an ice-cream scoop or a large spoon, sculpt your coconut batter into 12-15 domes. Space them out on your baking tray
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown
- Once cooked, transfer your macaroons onto a wire rack to cool
- Melt your chocolate in the microwave in short bursts (be patient and don't let it burn!)
- Drizzle your chocolate on top of your macaroons. To finish, sprinkle with a little desiccated coconut
Have you been watching Bake Off? Who’s your favourite contestant so far? I’m rooting for Marc and Peter! x